Writing and Publishing Utilities
To integrate with Whiskey and with my writing workflow, I’ve created various tools to support my online writing and publishing.
pd — Print draft
pd has had a greater impact on my writing than any other tool I’ve created. It uses
pandoc and a
latex template to generate a well formatted document and then sends it to your printer all from the command line or Vim. Now you have a hard copy draft that you can mark up. Writing and editing in separate tools and phases helps me focus on doing one at a time.
Older Projects and Code
- Litsub was created to be an email-based community of writers, editors, readers, and literary folks. Litsub.com was a brief experiment to create a place for people to share in their love of writing.
- Built to integrate my static sites into Litsub,
fmmssis a Flask app running a
POSTAPI to handle subscribing to a Mailman 3 list. (I’m now using a similar app that integrates with Mailgun instead.)
- I wrote a plugin for python-markdown called
mdx_poeticas I expanded my writing into poetry and desired a particular format for poetry on this site. (I don’t use this anymore since I now use
pandocfilters to do this instead.)
diceware, a python script which generates passphrases using EFF’s wordlist. Passphrases are highly secure and highly memorable passwords.
- Wrote at hackmake.org about creativity, craftsmanship, and working smarter (2012-2016)
- Coffee Shop Contemplations, a book of essays about simplicity and design, writing, and meditations on being better.
- Widgets and Scripts for Panic’s Status Board